Will I need retainers?
Yes, absolutely yes! The retention phase following the removal of your braces is extremely important to help maintain the result that we have worked so hard to achieve. Without retainers your teeth will tend to drift back toward their previous positions. There are many options for retainers and Dr. Moran will help you choose the best option for your smile.
How long will I need to wear them?
Retainers are generally worn full time for a year. Wear is then tapered down to nights only and eventually to only one or two nights a week. It is recommended that retainers be worn for life. With proper retainer wear, your beautiful smile will last a lifetime.
How do I clean my retainers?
Clean your retainers thoroughly at least once each day. If your retainer is made with colored acrylic and has wires on it, clean your retainer with a toothbrush and toothpaste. If your retainer is a clear retainer without wires, rinse it out every time you remove it and clean it once each day with a toothbrush and mild soap. Please do not use toothpaste on your clear retainer as this will discolor it. Efferdent or other orthodontic appliance cleaners can be used, but these do not take the place of carefully brushing your retainer.
What else do I need to know?
- Take your retainers out when eating, and always put them in their case. Most retainers are lost in school lunchrooms or restaurants.
- Never wrap your retainer in a napkin. This is an easy way to forget them or accidentally throw them away. Really, it happens all too often.
- Pets love to chew on retainers. If you leave them where they can get to them, they will find a way. Don't let your retainer become a very expensive chew toy.
- Initially, while wearing your retainers you may find it difficult to speak. Keep them in, and make yourself practice speaking by reading or singing out loud to get used to them faster. You can do it.
- Please remove your retainers when swimming.
- Retainers are breakable and can be distorted, so treat them with care. Keep them away from hot water, hot car dashboards, pockets, the washing machine, and the bottom of heavy backpacks.
- If you have any questions or concerns about your retainers, or if you lose or break your retainer, please call us immediately (602-978-2100). Going without your retainer for even a short time can quickly allow your teeth to shift out of their corrected positions.
- Always bring your retainers with you to your appointments so we can check to make sure they are fitting properly. Thank you.